Hello Sumner Parents,
My name is Shannon Choneska and I am your school district’s new Native American Education Coordinator. Our program provides academic and cultural support to students with Native heritage and their families!
As the Native American learning specialist, I will be throughout the schools leading student clubs that do culturally relevant community projects and in-school activities. I will also be working with students one-on-one to provide academic support in reading, math, and/or counseling to increase their grades and test scores.
For those unsure of what the Sumner School District’s Native American Education Program does, here is a quick snapshot of our services:
- Provide direct service, K-12 Math and Reading tutoring
- College prep support for participating Class of 2015 cohort
- Family culture nights (and Parent Advisory Committee meetings)
- Work with counselors to advocate for Native students and families
- Take students on a culturally relevant field trip in the spring
- Provide classroom presentations or assemblies for all grade levels
- Assistance with student fees
- We also create after school programs and clubs
- Native American Education Program Web site
I am also here to advocate for parents, helping you access school and community resources. I encourage you to contact me anytime and support your child’s participation in our student Native Clubs beginning January!
I am on different campuses throughout the week but always available via e-mail, phone or by appointment. Please check frequently for all events and services information.
If you and your child are in need of support please call me at (253) 220-7873 or e-mail. My goal is to be an advocate for every Native student here so they are thriving academically, learning more about their heritage, and engaged in their school community.
NA Education Coordinator Sumner School District
PSESD Native American Education Program